Saturday, October 23, 2010

Primitive Camping?

I was just reading a blog that discussed primitive camping; The writer stated that it was all about camping the way they did back in the 1800's, including the clothing. Sounds like fun, but I do like modern camping equipment. With the right equipment, camping doesn't have to be uncomfortable.

I've done a fair amount of tent camping over the years, and the modern definition of primitive camping, at least the one used by most campgrounds for their sites, are those sites which don't have electricity and water. Truthfully, not having electricity when camping isn't a major issue, but I do sort of like having water available. Given the option of a site without water and one with a spigot right there, I'll pay a couple of extra dollars for the available water. Then on the other hand, I have brought my own on many occasions using a 5 gallon water carrier.

Over the years I've done my share of tent camping on islands, in National Forests, in open fields, and on beaches, in what would be considered primitive camping conditions, where whatever conveniences we had were what we brought with us.

Regardless of where we camp, we like the convenience provided by propane stoves, a good tent, a comfy cot or air mattress and a good sleeping bag. Add in a cooler, a Coleman lantern and a few other essentials, and you have the basics for a good "primitive" camping trip.

Cooking over an open fire is OK for some things, but you can't beat the convenience of lighting a propane stove to cook on, or a having a good propane lantern to light up the site. And I love the queen size cot I found years back that uses a queen size air mattress...talk about comfortable camping. It fits perfectly inside my 5 person tent, which is just perfect for two people and has enough room to stand up in when you're changing clothes. 8-)

Ok, so maybe it's not that primitive based on some people's definition, but it is fun getting out and sleeping in a tent in the outdoors. So leave me to my modern camping conveniences and a good size tent and I'll be happy with the modern definition of primitive camping.

I love the outdoors and will probably never get tired of tent camping, but I also like what is available in modern camping equipment. Definitions can change over time as has camping, and with all the great camping equipment available today why not be comfortable? Use the camping technology available for your next "primitive" camping trip and enjoy.




Scott Claflin is a native Floridian, an outdoor enthusiast, a musician and the owner of Timeless Landing Enterprises LLC. For a great selection on camping tents, hammocks and camping equipment, you can visit his site at http://www.timelesstents.com.

Friends Link : Best Lantern Reviews LED Lantern Reviews Best Lantern Review

No comments:

Post a Comment